I didn’t have a lot of time to plan or execute intricate, delicious Whole 30 recipes this weekend. I feel like I’m doing this all wrong, eating the same things over and over because they’re easy. Then again, that method isn’t any different from how I normally operate, I tend to stick to the same easy meals on repeat.
Weekend highlights included a friends’ birthday BBQ and apple picking at a nearby orchard, Whistling Well Farm. The orchard was right down the street from the crazy-popular and super busy Afton Apples, and I am glad we avoided that mess. I picked an entire peck of Honeycrisp for $20! The apples filled my crisper in the fridge with some leftover in the bag. Fortunately, Honeycrips last a very long time- but I will be eating at least an apple a day (or more) for the foreseeable future.
I discovered my first mistake on Whole 30 on Sunday. I bought some “coconut cashews” at Trader Joes- yum, right? I read the ingredients and saw “Ingredients include cashews, coconut.” Seemed excellent! I opened the bag and ate one when I got home… and immediately realized it was WAY too sweet. I took another look at the package and realized I had read the allergen statement, not the complete ingredients which also included sugar. Whoops! So, I had one cashew that was sugar-coated. The interesting takeaway from this experience is that I could tell immediately that sugar was added. Cool, huh?
How I felt: Both days felt great! I felt bloated after Agra Culture on Day 13 (not sure why, possibly more than olive oil was used on the Agra Culture Salmon- maybe rice bran oil), and the same for Day 14 in the morning. But the weekend ended strong and I feel good.
What I ate:
- Breakfast: egg scramble with leftover brussels sprouts, onion, peppers, Cholula, black coffee with almond milk
- Lunch: 1 chicken brat (same as Day 12), Brussels Sprouts, apple
- Snacks: trail mix
- Dinner: First dinner: 1 chicken brat, pineapple, kale chips, carrots, grapes at a friend’s birthday BBQ. Second dinner: Agra Detox Salad w/Salmon at Agra Culture
- Breakfast: egg scramble with leftover brussels sprouts, onion, peppers, guacamole, Cholula, black coffee
- Lunch: avocado-massaged kale salad with kohlrabi, peppers, beets, shredded chicken
- Snacks: So many apples! And waaaay too much dried fruit (dried figs, peaches, apples with almond butter). Oh, and one (1) non-compliant coconut cashew.
- Dinner: leftover egg scramble with guac… again. Too many eggs?